Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Oh God Benny, Just Shut Up

I know that’s highly disrespectful towards the leader of my faith, and I’m sorry, but every time this man does something, he seems to “put his foot in it.”

So Orthodox churches are “defective” because they don’t recognize the primacy of the pope? And as this news story notes at the end, why even mention it when this was already stated in a document written in 2000? Maybe because Benny was unofficially calling the shots back then but he’s officially calling them now?

And this comes on the heels of a call to return to the Tridentine Latin rite mass which advocates the conversion of Jews to Catholicism, which was met with the predictable (and justifiable) outcry. It also comes in the aftermath of the pope’s trip to South America where he ignored the liberation theology movement, and it also follows his attempt to tell people how to drive. And it also comes in the face of the Vatican's dismissal of the chief astronomer for correctly pointing out that "intelligent design" isn't science, as well as Benny's criticism of Bob Dylan.

And it also comes after his slap in the face at Islam for some mysterious reason.

I don’t know if it’s possible to have “pope fatigue” (I’m sure if it is, then it’s a sin), but I seriously think that I have it.

Update: Devilstower at The Daily Kos makes a great point here.

2 comments:

profmarcus said...

RAT-zinger... what a guy...!

doomsy said...

In my admittedly imperfect way, I’m trying to reach out and communicate to people and build bridges in the process, and it frustrates and angers me when people who are actual leaders of my faith, as well as pretenders like Hangin’ Judge J.R., Alito and Little Ricky Santorum who are highly visible and claim to speak for Catholics when they have no business doing so (to say nothing of Bill Donahue), do nothing through their words and actions but build walls instead.

Mea maxima culpa…