Tuesday, August 30, 2005

They Killed Kenny! You Hooligans!

I read this on Pandagon via Atrios today, and geez oh man, we just can’t let this happen (can we)?

I can see the “read-through” of the next script for “The Sopranos”:

Paulie: “Yo, T, I gotta go (Ed: “confront a gentleman”) over some (Ed: “ill-gotten payment”). (Ed: “That n’er-do-well”) lowlife was tryin’ to (Ed: “delay remuneration”) – you know, your cut from…” (Ed: difficult to locate a comparable contextual English phrase for excessive sports book winnings…have to substitute something or else condone illegal gambling activity).

Tony: (Ed: slamming fist on desk – a stretch, but we can allow it). “That (Ed: unpleasant person). (Ed: not sure how to communicate an act of sodomy with the aid of a hardware appliance, but we can try “I’d like to punch him in the nose” for now).
Or “Cathouse”:

Brandy: “Well, Darrin was new to the ranch, and he was a bit nervous at first, but then I led him into the room with the glass ceiling and the leopard-skin sofa, where I poured him a drink of (Ed: Coca Cola or hot toddies…have to check since we may have just signed a marketing agreement with Pepsico). He had several more, and then I removed my (Ed: “lightweight undergarment”) before we both (Ed: began discussing his new line of insurance products).
Or “Martin Lawrence Live At The Apollo”:

(Ed: Don’t even bother…)
Atrios, as usual, is dead-on with his recommendation about how to put an end to this nonsense (though given the single-minded, tiny-brained ferocity of Bushco and their minions, I think this will be “the big MSM story” 24/7/365 after the Roberts hearings are over).

No comments: