Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Not A Good Start

Some local political news...

Ginny Schrader announced yesterday that she’s going to run again for the Democratic nomination to face Repug Mike Fitzpatrick when he runs again also next year as the incumbent for the U.S. House seat in the 8th district in Bucks County.

Excuse me if I don’t do handstands to show my enthusiasm.

Please don’t misunderstand me. I’ve met Ginny and spoke with her. I like her. I think she would serve Bucks County well.

However, Bucks County is not going to elect her. This area is as close to “middle America” as you’re likely to find in this area of the state. By that I mean that it is very hard to elect a woman in politics around here because most men (and women also, strangely enough) won’t vote for them. Also, the perennial knock on Ginny, when she ran against both Ftizpatrick and Greenwood, was that she did not have experience in state or local government, and unfortunately, the Repugs can hit her with that again in the campaign (I know Bucks County Democratic poobah John Cordisco appointed her to some ceremonial position, but that doesn’t really count).

Besides, the first thing Ginny apparently did (based on the news report in the Courier Times) was apologize for using out-of-state volunteers in her last campaign, including members of Moveon.org, and taking donations from that organization also.

Starting your campaign with an apology is not exactly “hitting the ground running” as far as I’m concerned. Besides, I’m sick and tired of Democrats doing that unless something is terribly, terribly wrong. When was the last time you heard an apology out of a Repug?

Ginny, do us all a favor and please reconsider. Uniting behind Patrick Murphy against Fitzpatrick is a better option.

No comments: