Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Wednesday AM Stuff

I'm with K.O. on the McChrystal thing - keeping him where he is should automatically shut him up going forward. Otherwise, letting him go will set in motion all of McChrystal's appearances on Fix Noise and conservative-friendly media to launch the inevitable book or a cushy job at the Hoover Institute or some other right-wing think tank (harping against Obama every second, of course).

I say screw him. He supported this mess in the land where empires crumble. Keep him there and let him reap the whirlwind, and for the Pat Tillman thing too (along with the more honorable members of our military, sadly)...



Update: You know, just once I wish someone would acknowledge that DFHs (like myself I suppose) are actually right more than every so often and try listening to us for a change (here).

...and I suppose this is a predicatble selection, but there you are (and no, I don't know what Richard Branson is doing there either).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree...the best course of action would be to send him back to Afghanistan.

He never would have expected that, and that would have been certain motivation to "get it done".

The general is a quitter...he knew he would be relieved of duty.

doomsy said...

I noted in another post that I just finished reading the Rolling Stone article on McChrystal, and I reluctantly have to admit that I (and K.O.) could be wrong. McChrystal had a history of shooting off his mouth, though I think the problem isn’t so much one guy as opposed to the fact that we’re digging a hole in the proverbial sand trap, and we should have stopped digging long ago. Did McChrystal “quit” on the mission? I don’t know if anyone can say that, since it would imply dereliction of duty, and I’m not going to allege that. I will say, though, that I think he saw from Petraeus how a general could worm his way into the good graces of civilian military leadership, which he did, though not as skillfully as Petraeus. McChrystal is, fundamentally, a “Heart of Darkness,” black ops kind of guy who tried to reinvent himself and reshape the mission in Afghanistan so that he thought it would be palatable to those in charge in Washington. I think he succeeded on that count, but the mission, as defined by his parameters (with our civilian “leadership” along for the ride) has no chance of a successful outcome as nearly as I can see, unfortunately.