Monday, July 14, 2008

Snow Falls

I promised I wasn’t going to say anything about the demise of Tony Snow, but I feel that I have to because “it’s getting a little thick,” if you know what I mean.

And yes, I know, if you don’t have anything good to say about someone, you shouldn’t say anything. That is why I will merely link back to prior posts and try as hard as I can to stow the disparaging remarks.

I should say at the outset, though, that 53 is entirely too young an age for anyone to leave us. And I can’t imagine the guts it took for him to live his life with his family history of colon cancer (there is no good type of cancer, but that’s particularly debilitating) and knowing that the chances were good that he would acquire it also.

However, his legacy as a conservative media hit man will live on in these less-than-shining moments, as well as many others…

  • Snow equates the pardon of Scooter Libby with the pardons of Bill Clinton (here).


  • Snow informs us that there was no attempt by the White House to link Saddam Hussein with 9/11 (here).


  • Snow is granted a forum for selling a whole bunch of GOP talking points unchallenged on CNN and Fox (here).


  • Snow tells a White House reporter, in response to an AP story, that troops getting ready to be shipped out due to the "surge" will get their advanced battlefield training for Iraq not at the Army's premier training range in California...but in Iraq.
  • I cut Tim Russert some slack when he left us because he occasionally practiced his craft with skill and impartiality as far as I was concerned.

    However, Tony Snow leaves no such legacy, even a spotty one, only that of a shameless media ideologue. And how sad to waste one’s talents for such an unworthy cause.

    Update 1: And Snow perfected his act (if that's the right verb) through many appearances on "Dr. McLaughlin's Gong Show."

    Update 2: I should have extended my condolences to Snow's family and friends at the outset; sorry about that.

    No comments: