Tuesday, July 08, 2008

It's A "Croc," All Right

I have to admit that I find it humorous to read media commentators of varying degrees of intelligence and ability trying to “read the tea leaves” of the McCain campaign for president in an effort to figure out how he actually, really and for sure, is supposed to represent a change from George W. Milhous Bush.

This HuffPo story tells us that McCain is even praising the success of the outdoor footwear company Crocs, as Dubya did in November 2006 (maybe not the best idea at the moment since the company’s stock is tanking, though it has lots of company unfortunately – an informal survey of the Doomsy household, though, shows that Crocs are quite comfortable for 2 out of 3 people surveyed).

This MSNBC post referencing a New York Times article today by Adam Nagourney gives us a look at the disorganization behind the campaign (which I’m sure is partly responsible for this McCain proposal, which flies in the face of what the vast majority of this country has been telling its elected representatives for quite some time). Also, don't ask "Senator Honor And Virtue" for an economics lesson either (see, it's only an earmark when someone else does it...and again, if you like Dubya, you'll love McCain and his "tax cuts create jobs," "younger workers should be allowed to invest in private accounts and it won't affect retirees," mantra).

And by the way, if anyone out there thinks that “the base” is going to cut McCain any slack while he's trying to decide what he is truly all about, think again.

In terms of campaign dynamics (notwithstanding ideological preference), I have to say that I really don’t understand what’s going on with McCain (unless he really intends to do nothing but continue the ruinous Bushco reign and is purposely being evasive on the details for that reason, which I think is truly the case). Even if I preferred him as a candidate (and I most certainly do not), I have to admit that I have no understanding as to what his core principles may be, assuming he has any at all (or does he merely expect to become president because he feels it is his by right of ascension?).

Yes, I’m partial to Obama I’ll admit, but I believe that he’s been more steadfast on the issues than our corporate media would have us believe (no surprise), and you can paint a better picture of what he is all about as a candidate (FISA is the glaring, obvious exception, however – if anyone wants to blast at him for this “just elect me and I’ll fix this once and for all” business on this issue, be my guest).

Even if you have no intention of voting for Obama, I’m just saying that I have a better idea of what he is fundamentally about than I ever will about McCain (were he to win, Obama would be led by his handlers on some issues, rightly or wrongly – it would be inevitable for any president – but I believe McCain would be led on every issue by his people, which, as we’ve seen over these last eight, horrendous years, is a recipe for disaster).

Update: Too funny...

No comments: