Friday, March 31, 2006

It’s Censorship If I Say So

That seems to be the mentality of the right wingers who insist on nitpicking about these Danish cartoons with the unflattering depictions of the prophet Mohammed.

I guess it’s more important for people like Eugene Volokh (who, I have to admit, makes his case without the typical freeper froth and venom that is so tiresome) that we start a riot or endanger people’s lives just to prove a confrontational point. Every excuse I read for the cartoons either not being published or shown cites the same reason: public safety concerns.

Do I think those offended individuals have a right to threaten violence and curtail free speech on this? No, I do not. However, I don’t see where that justifies foolhardy action just for the sake of a provocation. Besides, the cartoons are easy enough to find online with the right search engine and keyword combination.

As I scrolled through the comments regarding Volokh’s post, I came across this one near the end of the thread. I’m highlighting it because I believe the author makes a good point.

Notice how the people who make a great hullabaloo about "free speech" over the Mohammed cartoons are curiously silent about the decision of the New York Theatre Workshop to cancel a play based on the writings of Rachel Corrie because the subject matter was considered "too controversial".
Here is a link to more information on the play “My Name Is Rachel Corrie,” concerning the American who aided Palestinians and was killed by an American-made bulldozer in Gaza.

I would ask that you keep a couple of things in mind.

First, all I know about the play so far is what I’ve read on the Radical Left post. Second, though they have been wronged by Israel, the Palestinians have much to atone for also, and you’re really going to have to word hard to make me feel sympathy towards them.

But I would guess that the point of the play is to get people to think, communicate, and form well-reasoned opinions (with all humility, I should point out that that’s the intended goal for this site also). And I think it is absolutely ridiculous that the play has apparently been banned in this country.

I always believed that we could respectfully disagree on things like this (or even agree somehow). I always thought that’s what thinking, rational adults were supposed to do.

But then again, I guess it’s easier just to scream about a bunch of cartoons instead.

And by the way, speaking of free speech, I’m going to give “Real Time” another shot tonight and see what happens.

4 comments:

doomsy said...

Hope you didn't use up too much brain power on that one...

doomsy said...

I'm sure you won't be personally offended if I pass on that.

Playgoer said...

Glad you are writing about this. I essentially agree. But there's lots more to the story.

See The Nation (4/3 edition). And I've been covering every day on my blog The Playgoer

http://playgoer.blogspot.com

doomsy said...

I'll check it out...thanks a lot.