Sunday, July 17, 2005

Message From Our Sponsor

I know Liberal Oasis and other fine blogs out there report on the Sunday punditry parades, which to me are total disinformation and propaganda barely concealed by shouts, character assassination and other cheap theatrics.

I know from whence I speak on this, because I watched "This Week with David Brinkley" for years. Brinkley, as a hopelessly jaded and world-weary journo, was actually funny at times because you could tell he never took it completely seriously (Brinkley, in my mind, tarnished himself by shilling for ADM before he died, however). At the end of the show, they would have a roundtable discussion (probably still following that format now, I guess, only with Pretty Boy George S. running things), and Brinkley would throw out a topic to George Will, who would pontificate in as sanctimonious a way as possible (and actually provide factual information on occasion) before Sam Donaldson would work himself into a lather responding to what Will said, and then the guest journo (usually Tom Wicker) would chime in with something else. On the whole, it wasn't bad. After that, I would watch "Dr. McLaughlin's Gong Show" in the afternoon and work myself into my own frenzy of sorts listening to the total conservative garbage seeping out of Novak, Pat Buchanan, Kudlow, Barone, Wattenberg et al.

Soon after all of this, though, I ended up getting married and putting all of this aside because I matured and became more sophisticated (and also because my wife told me she'd club me over the head with the Farberware skillet if I went back to watching this stuff:-).

My point (finally) is that I'd sooner give myself an appendectomy with a fondue fork than go back to watching these shows. I'll get my information from reliable sources elsewhere, thank you very much. I'll try to cover a wide range of topics here and make this site as interesting as I can, but I'm afraid I'll have to draw the line when it comes to the Sunday media barking heads.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

No comments: